Translate

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Why I might stick out!

     So, last time I blogged, I wrote about how I knew I wasn't in California anymore.  Now as time is passing (and I am not in quite as much culture shock), I am taking more notice of the people around me.  More specifically, I'm taking notice of  how the people around me are reacting to my family and me!  We obviously stick out.  Every time I leave the house I am reminded that I will be watched.  This isn't such a bad thing, it makes me remember to behave :)  I must remember that I am representing Jesus and being watched by people who aren't really sure about me.
     But let me give you some examples of what I mean....

     I was in the grocery store the other day and asking for some empanadas at the front counter.  I tried to ask in my best Spanish, with the correct verbs, and was pretty proud of myself.  But I then noticed the line of customers behind me giggling and repeating parts of what I said.  I looked at Nicole because I had an idea of what was happening.  She confirmed that they were laughing at me.  I thought I said it perfectly... but this reminded me of how many times I had snickered at someone's accent back in the States.  (In fact, I used to make a lot of fun of Don's accent in the beginning of our marriage :(

     Another thing I have done, and not thought twice about, was picking out fruit in the market.  I was trying to pick out nectarines and was gently squeezing them to make sure they weren't to mushy. I don't like mushy fruit.  Don was suddenly at my side and whispered for me to STOP!  I asked him, "Stop what?"  He told me to stop squeezing the fruit because the ladies behind the counter were watching me.  I slowly looked over my shoulder, and their faces looked something like this....
 
     My next story is about the grocery store too.  I don't know what it is about me and grocery stores, but I always seem to do something stupid at a store.  I know we are not to go shopping when hungry, but I'm always hungry when I walk into the grocery store.  Now I know we have all done this in the States and never think twice about it....open up something we are going to buy and take a nibble.  Well, after living here for 7 months, I noticed nobody, I mean nobody, does this in Peru.  I decided I better stop doing this before I get kicked out of the store, or worse :)
 
 
 
     Then there are the stares we get when we walk home from the grocery store.  Don carries all the bags for me.  Sometimes maybe even 10 bags!  He invented these metal hooks he had the iron guy make, and will line up all the bags on them and walk home.  So why does this get us so many looks?  It is because the women in Peru carry everything.  I have watched a husband and wife walk side by side and she will have the baby on her back (not just babies, but toddlers too) and will be carrying 2 FULL five gallon buckets while the husband is empty handed.  These women are so, so very strong here!  They amaze me!  I am not sure why they look at us more...is it because they can't figure out why I can't carry anything or why my husband would carry everything. 
 
 
 
 
     And, yes, we stick out because of the clothes we wear, the color of our skin, when we walk down the street with our dogs on a leash...
So my point to all of this is that God is teaching me to be very aware of the words that come out of my mouth, the way I present myself, the way I treat others and my family,  because I am always being watched.  I should have always been concerned of these things, but I have never been so aware of being watched before.  I am guessing that God is drawing my attention to this because it is an area of my life I need to work on.  I'm thankful that God is working on me.  It's humbling to remember that although God is using me here in Peru, there is still so much for me to learn.
 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hermanito eres un ejemplo a seguir eres un gran hombre de lucha....Eres un hombre muy bendecido por la gracia de él. Dios es grande!!! Y es bueno para contigo y tu familia. Sabes porqué te miran? Es muy simple! Desearían un hombre atento como lo eres tú con tu esposita e hijos. LOS AMO MUCHO ��������

    ReplyDelete
  2. Browers, how I loved reading this blog post! Stacey, you are a great writer too. It was great to see things through your perspective and a great reminder that we are the witnesses for Jesus all the time!

    ReplyDelete